Annotated Bibliography Paper
Choose one of the following articles and submit an annotated bibliography.
Farren, A. (2015). Leininger’s ethnonursing research methodology and studies of cancer survivors: A review. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 26(4), 418-427.
Chiatti, B.D. (2018) Culture care beliefs and practices of Ethiopian immigrants. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 30(4), 340-49.
Valek, R., Greenwald, B. & Lewis, C.(2015). Psychological factors associated wtih weight loss maintenance: Theory-driven practice for nurse practitioners. Nursing Science Quarterly,28(2), 129-135.
Borhani, M., Sadeghi, R., Shojaeizadeh, D. Harandi, T. &Vakili, M. (2017). Teenage girls experience of the determinants of physical activity promotion: A theory-based qualitative content analysis. Electronic Physician,9(8), 5075-5082.
What is an annotated bibliography?
An annotation is a summary and/or evaluation. An annotated bibliography includes the bibliographic citation and a summary and/or evaluation of each of the sources. For this assignment you are asked to provide both a summative and evaluative paragraph.
Guidelines for this assignment:
Select one article from those provided.
You will then write two paragraphs. You will select 1 article (there are four articles to choose from) related to patient safety.
For the annotated bibliography. The first paragraph is a brief synopsis of what the article was about. In the second paragraph you will evaluate the article. Refer to the Resource Tab for the Annotated Bib Guidelines and Rubric.
See below attached document for Annotated Bibliography for rubric and sample. Please follow the rubric and sample.
Professional Practice Model
Many health care systems use a Professional Practice Model (PPM) rather than or in addition to a nursing theoretical framework to provide a foundation that exemplifies nursing practice in that facility. The PPM provides clarity for decision making, for directing change, and for sustaining authentic relationships between disciplines and with patients and families. The PPM provides focus for evaluation of structures, processes, and outcomes. It can be instrumental in generating new ideas and approaches. Effective use of a PPM helps nurses establish professional identity and results in higher job satisfaction. Effective PPMs have also been linked to excellence in nursing practice, which results in improved outcomes for patients and families.
Purpose: The purpose of this assignment is to identify a PPM that is used by a specific healthcare system and describe its components and how they affect the nursing profession and patient care.
· Research and choose a health care system that uses a professional practice model that describes the environment for professional nursing practice.
· Prepare and present write-ups that:
· Describe the healthcare system (number of facilities, location, patient beds, specialty [if any]).
· Provide a general overview of the PPM adopted or developed by the healthcare system (some systems use an already developed PPM, and others create their own PPM to meet their individualized needs).
· Describe the components of the PPM
For example—professional values, leadership and governance structures, professional relationships and development of nurses.
Present a short critique of the PPM. Things to consider:
Does it clearly provide a framework for nursing practice?
Does it clearly provide a basis for delivery of holistic patient care?
Does the PPM promote decision-making and changes that involve the patient, family and interdisciplinary health care team?
See document attached below for PPM.
Annotated Bibliography Assignment Purpose: The purpose of this assignment is to increase nursing students’ knowledge and awareness of Nola Pender’s Health Promotion Model and Madeleine Leininger’s CultureCare Theory of Diversity and Universality and their current applications to the nursing profession.
What is an annotated bibliography? An annotation is a summary and/or evaluation. An annotated bibliography includes the bibliographic citation and a summary and/or evaluation of each of the sources. For this assignment you are asked to provide both a summative and evaluative paragraph.
Guidelines for this assignment:
1. Select one article from those provided in the assignment tab.
2. You will then write two paragraphs. You will select 1 article (there are four articles to choose from) regarding Nola Pender’s Health Promotion Model or Madeleine Leininger’s Culture Care Theory of Diversity and Universality.
3. Page one will be the title page formatted according to APA guidelines (6th ed.) NOTE: THE TITLE PAGE IS NOT SHOWN IN THE SAMPLE BELOW
4. Page two will be the annotated bibliography. The journal article is listed per APA on the TOP of page two of your paper.
5. The first paragraph is a brief synopsis of what the article was about.
6. The second paragraph is the evaluation of the article according to the prompts below.
Paragraph one should be a summary/synopsis of what the article was about.
· What are the main topics/points/ arguments that are covered?
· What is the author(s) premise? Tip: Focus on the introduction and conclusion (and/or discussion).
Paragraph two should evaluate (assess) the article.
· Would you recommend this article to peers? Discuss why or why not.
· Evaluate how well the article applies either nursing theory.
· Discuss how this content can be applied to nursing practice?
· Provide a summary statement that indicates what personal learning occurred from reviewing this article.
7. Follow APA guidelines (6th ed.) when formatting/typing the paper. Some general APA guidelines are: Running Head, appropriate headings, 12 point Times New Roman font, in-text citations, and reference (you will only have one reference above your first paragraph). The body of this assignment should be no longer than 1 page (excluding the title page). Include honor code and grading rubric. Submit the assignment through the submissions tab in Blackboard.
8. Please see the sample Annotated Bibliography. This is an example of a very short and concise annotation. Please be sure to include ALL the criteria listed on your guidelines and rubric.
Description of the author’s ideas or propositions. Identification of the purpose of the article
Main topics and points are clear and concisely identified and described
Analysis of your thoughts on recommendation of this article to your peers.
Description of how well the article applies the theory to current nursing practice.
Summarized analysis of personal learning that occurred from the article review.
Professional Writing Components
Grammar, spelling, and sentence structure
APA Format, including title page and running head.
Ehrenreich, B. (2001). Nickel and dimed: On (not) getting by in America. New York: Henry Holt and Company.
Sample APA Annotation
In this book of nonfiction based on the journalist’s experiential research, Ehrenreich attempts to ascertain whether it is currently possible for an individual to live on a minimum-wage in America. Taking jobs as a waitress, a maid in a cleaning service, and a Walmart sales employee, the author summarizes and reflects on her work, her relationships with fellow workers, and her financial struggles in each situation.
Evaluation of Sample Annotation
An experienced journalist, Ehrenreich is aware of the limitations of her experiment and the ethical implications of her experiential research tactics and reflects on these issues in the text. The author is forthcoming about her methods and supplements her experiences with scholarly research on her places of employment, the economy, and the rising cost of living in America. Ehrenreich’s project is timely, descriptive, and well-researched.
Description of Healthcare System:
Clearly describes the health care system: size, number of facility/patient beds, location, specialty (if applicable)
Discuss the PPM:
Description of the PPM
List and describe each PPM components
Adopted or Original PPM
Critique the PPM
Is it clearly written?
Does it clearly apply to the hospital’s nurses, healthcare team and patient and families.
Oral presentation: professionally dressed,
clearly articulated, eye contact with camera
correct grammar is used
no longer than 10 minutes