Week 4: Nursing Theory (Orig Post Due Wednesday, Responses Due Sunday)
44 unread replies.44 replies.
The purpose of the graded collaborative discussions is to engage faculty and students in an interactive dialogue to assist the student in organizing, integrating, applying, and critically appraising knowledge regarding advanced nursing practice. Scholarly information obtained from credible sources as well as professional communication are required. Application of information to professional experiences promotes the analysis and use of principles, knowledge, and information learned and related to real-life professional situations. Meaningful dialogue among faculty and students fosters the development of a learning community as ideas, perspectives, and knowledge are shared.
Activity Learning Outcomes
Through this discussion, the student will demonstrate the ability to:
· Demonstrate logical and creative thinking in the analysis and application of a theory to nursing practice. (PO 2 and 5) Weeks 2, 3, 5, 6,
· Examine broad theoretical concepts as foundational to advanced nursing practice roles. (PO 1 and 2) Weeks 1, 2, 3, 4
· Analyze theories from nursing and relevant fields with respect to the components, relationship among the components, and application to advanced nursing practice. (PO 1) Weeks 4, 5, 6
Due Date: Sunday, 11:59pm MT
A 10% late penalty will be imposed for discussions posted after the deadline on Wednesday, regardless of the number of days late. NOTHING will be accepted after 11:59pm MT on Sunday (i.e. student will receive an automatic 0). Week 8 discussion closes on Saturday at 11:59pm MT.
Total Points Possible: 50
1. Application of Course Knowledge: The student post contributes unique perspectives or insights gleaned from personal experience or examples from the healthcare field. The student must accurately and fully discuss the topic for the week in addition to providing personal or professional examples. The student must completely answer the entire initial question.
2. Engagement in Meaningful Dialogue: The student responds to a student peer and course faculty to further dialogue.
· Peer Response: The student responds substantively to at least one topic-related post by a student peer. A substantive post adds content or insights or asks a question that will add to the learning experience and/or generate discussion.
· A post of “I agree” with a repeat of the other student’s post does not count as a substantive post. A collection of shallow posts does not equal a substantive post.
· The peer response must occur on a separate day from the initial posting.
· The peer response must occur before Sunday, 11:59 p.m. MT.
· Faculty Response: The student responds substantively to at least one question by course faculty. The faculty question may be directed to the student, to another student, or to the entire class.
· A post of “I agree” with a repeat of the faculty’s post does not count as a substantive post. A collection of shallow posts does not equal a substantive post.
· The faculty response must occur on a separate day from the initial posting.
3. Integration of Evidence: The student post provides support from a minimum of one scholarly in-text citation with a matching reference AND assigned readings OR online lessons, per discussion topic per week.
· What is a scholarly resource? A scholarly resource is one that comes from a professional, peer-reviewed publication (e.g., journals and government reports such as those from the FDA or CDC).
· Contains references for sources cited
· Written by a professional or scholar in the field and indicates credentials of the author(s)
· Is no more than 5 years old for clinical or research articles
· What is not considered a scholarly resource?
· Newspaper articles and layperson literature (e.g., Readers Digest, Healthy Life Magazine, Food, and Fitness)
· Information from Wikipedia or any wiki
· Website homepages
· The weekly lesson
· Articles in healthcare and nursing-oriented trade magazines, such as Nursing Made Incredibly Easy and RNMagazine (Source: What is a scholarly article.docx; Created 06/09 CK/CL Revised: 02/17/11, 09/02/11 nlh/clm)
· Can the lesson for the week be used as a scholarly source?
· Information from the weekly lesson can be cited in a posting; however, it is not to be the sole source used in the post.
· Are resources provided from CU acceptable sources (e.g., the readings for the week)?
· Not as a sole source within the post. The textbook and/or assigned (required) articles for the week can be used, but another outside source must be cited for full credit. Textbooks are not considered scholarly sources for the purpose of discussions.
· Are websites acceptable as scholarly resources for discussions?
· Yes, if they are documents or data cited from credible websites. Credible websites usually end in .gov or .edu; however, some .org sites that belong to professional associations (e.g., American Heart Association, National League for Nursing, American Diabetes Association) are also considered credible websites. Websites ending with .com are not to be used as scholarly resources.
4. Professionalism in Communication: The post presents information in logical, meaningful, and understandable sequence, and is clearly relevant to the discussion topic. Grammar, spelling, and/or punctuation are accurate.
5. Wednesday Participation Requirement: The student provides a substantive response to the graded discussion question(s) or topic(s), posted by the course faculty (not a response to a peer), by Wednesday, 11:59 p.m. MT of each week.
6. Total Participation Requirement: The student provides at least three substantive posts (one to the initial question or topic, one to a student peer, and one to a faculty question) on two different days during the week.
Application of Course Knowledge:
Answers the initial discussion question(s)/topic(s), demonstrating knowledge and understanding of the concepts for the week.
Engagement in Meaningful Dialogue With Peers and Faculty
Responds to a student peer AND course faculty furthering the dialogue by providing more information and clarification, adding depth to the conversation
Integration of Evidence
Assigned readings OR online lesson AND at least one outside scholarly source are included. The scholarly source is:
1) evidence-based, 2) scholarly in nature, 3) published within the last 5 years
Total CONTENT Points= 40 pts
Grammar and Communication
Presents information using clear and concise language in an organized manner
References have complete information as required by APA
In-text citations included for all references AND references included for all in-text citation
Total FORMAT Points= 10 pts
DISCUSSION TOTAL= 50 points
Preparing the Assignment
Identify your specialty area of NP practice. Select a nursing theory, borrowed theory, or interdisciplinary theory provided in the lesson plan or one of your own findings. Address the following:
· Meaning and scope
· Logical adequacy
· Usefulness and simplicity
Finally, provide an example how the theory could be used to improve or evaluate the quality of practice in your specific setting. What rationale can you provide that validates the theory as applicable to the role of the nurse practitioner.
References to use in assignment
Bond, A. E., Eshah, N. F., Bani-Khaled, M., Hamad, A. O., Habashneh, S., Kataua’, H., . . . Maabreh, R. (2011). Who uses nursing theory? A univariate descriptive analysis of five years’ research articles. Scandinavian Journal of Caring Sciences, 25, 404-409. doi:10.1111/j.1471-6712.2010.00835.x
Desbiens, J., Gagnon, J., & Fillion, L. (2012). Development of a shared theory in palliative care to enhance nursing competence. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 68(9), 2113-2124. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2648.2011.05917.x
McEwen, M. & Willis, E. (2014). Theoretical basis for nursing (4th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins.
McEwen, M. (2014). Theories form the biomedical sciences. In M.McEwen & E. Willis (Eds.), Theoretical basis for nursing (4th ed.) (pp.331-353). Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins.
Melnyk, B. M., & Fineout-Overholt, E. (2011). Evidence-based practice in nursing and healthcare: A guide to best practice (2nd ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins.
Oberleitner, M. G. (2014). Theories, models, and frameworks from leadership and management. In M.McEwen & E. Willis (Eds.), Theoretical basis for nursing (4th ed.) (pp.354-385). Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins.
Parker, M. E., &Art Creation-Music/Dance/Poetry Smith, M. C. (2015). Nursing theories and nursing practice (4th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: F. A. Davis Company.
Villarruel, A. M., Bishop, T. L., Simpson, E. M., Jemmott, L. S., & Fawcett, J. (2001). Borrowed theories, shared theories, and the advancement of nursing knowledge. Nursing Science Quarterly, 14(2), 158-163.
Why Choose Us
College Research Papers
We offer professionally written research papers to our clients. We ensure all instructions are followed and that your custom paper is perfect. For a custom research paper, we have expert writers to help you. They will write your paper and earn you good grades
Professional Academic Writers
Are you looking for professional essay writers? Do you need custom paper writers to do your assignment? College essays online is packed with experienced writers who will handle your write my essay request. Order today to get quality services
Free Unlimited Revisions
Do you feel like your paper did not meet the requirements? Is there some instructions that have been skipped? Do not panic. Resubmit your essay for free and unlimited revisions. College essays online work to ensure our clients are satisfied.
Do you have an urgent essay and you don't know what to do? Do you have very little to do your assignments. Visit our online essay writing service for assistance. We have professional essay writers who will take your urgent paper. We have the best turn-around timein the market
If you are looking for a place to find original and plagiarism-free papers, visit collegessaysonline.com. We write your essay from scratch following your instructions. We ensure that every requirement is met, be it quality, delivery time, instructions etc.
24/7 Customer Support
If you have any concern or request, contact us anytime. We have a large team of customer support that are available 24/7. If it's a revision, send the revision file and any additional instructions and we will take care. Do not hesitate, Place an order with us today!
Are you looking for help with an argumentative essay? Do you have difficulties writing an argumentative essay? College essays online is here to help you. We will write a custom essay that meets your requirements. Do not feel overwhelmed, visit our cheap college essay website for professional academic writing help.
Do you need help with a reflection paper? Are you feeling challenged when writing a reflective essay? Are you looking for someone to write my reflection essay help? College essay writers have the answer to your problems. Submit your reflective paper assignment and let our paper writers do the difficult work.
If you are looking for someone to write an award winning scholarship essay, you landed at the right place. Our custom essay writers are professionals and have a 10 year experience. We will write a scholarship paper that will impress the scholarship committee. Hurry to get 25% discount.
Are you looking for a critical analysis essay help? Do you need an online essay writing service to write your critical thinking essay? Visit our college essay website for help. We have professional essay writers who will develop a perfect critical essay for you.
Ethics is a prominent subject in many schools. Professors often ask students to reflect on a topic on ethics and write an essay. This requires a lot of research and knowledge. If you have been assigned an ethical research essay, contact essay writers at college essays online for assistance.
A narrative essay requires a student to tell a story about something. It might be historical or a present narration. This type of essay follows certain rules and instructions. When you face challenges writing a narrative paper, visit our narrative essay writing service.