Submit 2 short papers of a minimum of 600 words, in response to the specific prompt provided below. Students should include at least 2 in-text citations and references (e.g., textbook, government publication, research article, etc.). All citations must be consistent with AMA formatting style guide.
Topic 1: Raw Milk
Many people are turning from processed foods to “natural” foods. Fearing loss of nutrients from pasteurization, a food choice of growing popularity is raw milk.
· How wise is this choice?
· How do pasteurization and processing affect the nutritional quality of milk?
· What disease risks does consumption of raw milk present?
· What factors increase the risks for disease from raw milk?
· How does the risk compare of consuming raw milk compare with the pasteurized counterpart?
· How would you advise a farmer with a desire to sell raw milk directly to consumers in an area in areas where such sales are permitted?
Topic 2: Application of Technology
NASA has generated many new technologies with applications far beyond space travel. Space Ice Cream aside, technology offers many opportunities to improve the safety and shelf life of food without significantly affecting the taste or nutrient value the product.
· What are some examples of these types of technologies?
· How could these technologies be used for world evangelization and fulfilling our Christian obligations to the poor and disadvantaged?
· What obstacles exist toward the implementation of these technologies?
· What factors should be used to determine if and how a technology is used?