HLT-312v Week 3 Assignment – Patient Advocacy and Autonomy
Assignment – Patient Advocacy and Autonomy Details:
Read “The Belmont Report: Ethical Principles and Guidelines for the Protection of Human Subjects of Research” (1979):
Write a 1,250-1,500 word paper that addresses the significance of autonomy, patient advocacy, and informed consent. Your paper should include:
- A description of the concepts of autonomy, patient advocacy, and informed consent.
- A discussion of the Nuremberg Code and the Declaration of Helsinki and a summary of the events that led up to the development of ethical guidelines for conducting human clinical trials, including Institutional Review Boards (IRB).
- Three examples of ways “The Belmont Report: Ethical Principles and Guidelines for the Protection of Human Subjects of Research” works to protect special populations (e.g., minors, prisoners, persons with mental illness).
A minimum of three references are required.
Prepare this Assignment – Patient Advocacy and Autonomy according to the APA guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
The Assignment – Patient Advocacy and Autonomy uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to Turnitin. Please refer to the directions in the Student Success Center.
What is HIPAA and how has this affected health care? What rights to privacy should patients have?
HLT-312v Week 3 Discussion 1- Assignment – Patient Advocacy and Autonomy
- Discuss the pros and cons of having “designer babies.” In what ways might this become a social, economic, class, racial, or prejudicial system? Will it truly improve society? How does the issue of cloning impact the future of reproduction?
HLT-312v Week 2 Discussion 1 – Assignment – Patient Advocacy and Autonomy
- Analyze the health care status of a specific minority group. Choose a particular minority group that is represented in the United States and compare its health status to the national average. What is the current health status of this minority group? What barriers to treatment and health care exist? How does race, socioeconomic status, or gender determine the quality of health care in the United States?
HLT-312v Week 3 Discussion 2
What ethical issues surround embryonic stem-cell research? Should the president have limited federal stem-cell research? Are other alternatives such as adult stem cell and placenta as effective? Why or why not?
HLT-312v Week 5 Assignment – Collaborative Learning Community: Health Disparities Among Diverse Populations
This is a CLC assignment.
Students will be assigned to groups by the course instructor. This is a two-part assignment that will consist of a presentation and an accompanying flyer.
Part 1: Presentation
Develop a 10-15 slide presentation, using PowerPoint or Prezi that includes the following information:
- Analyze the health care status of a specific minority group. Select a minority group that is represented in the United States (examples include: American Indian/Alaskan Native, Asian American, Black or African American, Hispanic or Latino, Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander).
- Compare the health status of the minority group you have selected to the national average. What is the current health status of this minority group? What health disparities exist for this group?
- You will find important health information regarding minority groups by exploring the following resources: “Minority Health” and “Racial and Ethnic Minority Populations,” both of which are located on the the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website.
- Explain the cultural and socioeconomic barriers to health. How do race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and education influence health for the minority group you have selected?
A minimum of three references must be used for this assignment.
The title slide and reference slide are not counted in required minimum slide count.
Part 2: Flyer
- Develop a one-page flyer that describes a healthy prevention strategy to address one of the 10 leading causes of death for the minority group you have selected.
- Refer to the resource “HealthyPeople 2020” for information regarding healthy prevention strategies.
- Include the flyer in your group’s presentation.
While APA format is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected and in-text citations and references should be included within the presentation using APA documentation guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.