34202/02 Case Study
HLT35015 Certificate III in Dental Assisting
Module 1: Safely Navigating the Dental Practice
This is assessment 2 of 2.
Dental assistants are a pivotal team member in a dental practice. They support the dental practitioner to provide patients with safe and effective dental care. Although the dental assistant provides direct assistance during oral healthcare procedures, they also must ensure that the dental practice is safe and clean for patients to attend.
For this assessment, you will be demonstrating your knowledge in Work Health & Safety and how this legislation applies to the policies and procedures in the workplace. In this assessment you will work with the receptionist Suzanna and dental assistant Annie, to ensure that patients are provided with a safe and clean environment at OC Dental Centre.
The questions in this assessment are based on a case scenario that you are likely to come across in a dental practice. Some of the questions require you to access additional templates, so please make sure you upload these completed documents with your assessment responses.
Please attempt all questions and pay attention to the word count indicators (where provided). Refer to the assessment rubric (table) at the end of the assessment template to assist you in completing satisfactory responses.
Please submit this assessment in Word doc format.
1. Write your name and student ID in the space provided at the top of this page.
2. Read the background/overview and brief sections of this document.
3. Read the scenario. Answer the 8 short-answer questions, and provide referencing as required.
4. Write your answers in the spaces provided in each question.
5. Save the Word document using this naming convention: your student number_assessment number.doc. For example: “12345678_31135_01.doc.”
6. Upload your document in Open Space using the relevant Assessment Upload link in this Module.
Suzanna is the dental receptionist at OC Dental Centre.
She has asked you to attend a workplace health and safety meeting to discuss an incident that recently occurred in the reception area.
Your patient, Larry Jones, slipped on a wet surface in the reception area on his arrival to his dental appointment. Whilst Larry was not injured, this incident has caused OC Dental Centre some concern about the safety of the reception area.
Answer the following 8 short-answer questions:
· Your written answers should be approximately 50–100 words in length (+/-10%) per question. The word count is a guideline and you can present your answers in narrative or bullet point format.
· Ensure you acknowledge and cite your sources accordingly – this is important whether you use your own words or another writer’s. You can review the Academic Referencing Guide in your student handbook.
Part A – Work Health & Safety
1. Identify your state/territory workplace health and safety authority, and briefly explain how the WHS legislation protects staff and patients whilst at OC Dental Centre?
2. As a dental assistant, you are required to cooperate with your employer to carry out safety measures at OC Dental Centre. Name the WHS legislation that applies in your state/territory, and list your responsibilities in regards to workplace health and safety.
3. As your patient, Larry was impacted by the slippery surface in the reception area. Suzanna has asked you to complete an incident report using this template
a. Please complete the incident report and upload with your assessment.
4. To prevent a similar incident in the future, Suzanna has asked you to complete a risk assessment of the reception area using this template.
a. Please complete the risk assessment and upload with your assessment.
Part B – General cleaning tasks
5. On the day of the incident, Annie asked you to clean the wet surface which Larry slipped on. As you are not sure what the wet surface is, you must apply personal protective equipment in accordance with the dental practice policy. Describe, in order, how you would clean the wet surface, including all equipment required to effectively manage the hazard.
6. Explain why it is important to dispose of the waste generated from your cleaning task effectively and immediately.
7. As a dental assistant, you will be exposed to hazards in all your tasks. Consider the role of the dental assistant, and complete the following table:
|Activity||Potential hazard||Example of how to prevent the hazard|
|Cleaning the reception area
|Cleaning the clinical area
|Assisting the dentist
|Assisting a patient
8. Annie is impressed with your management of the wet surface in the reception area, and she has asked you to check that OC Dental Centre will be prepared for all surface-cleaning procedures. Complete the following table of where cleaning agents may be used in a dental practice.
|Cleaning agent||Example of use in a dental practice|
|Chemical mixed or pre-mixed chemical||
|Neutral PH detergents
4. Assessment rubric
Below is a rubric that determines whether your answers and knowledge is satisfactory or unsatisfactory.
To be deemed satisfactory, and to pass the assessment, you must complete the requirements for the column that is titled ‘satisfactory’.
It is advisable to read the rubric for the question you are answering to determine if you have fully answered the question to a satisfactory standard.
|Not yet satisfactory
|Work Health & Safety legislation||Demonstrated understanding on how WHS legislation applies to workplace safety, to include workers and patients||Unable to demonstrate an understanding on how WHS legislation applies to workplace safety, to include workers and patients|
|Work Health & Safety legislation||Identifies the relevant state/territory WHS legislation and correctly lists the WHS responsibilities of the dental assistant||Does not identify the relevant state/territory WHS legislation and incorrectly lists the WHS responsibilities of the dental assistant|
|Risk assessment||Able to apply knowledge of WHS principles to correctly complete a risk assessment based on the case scenario||Unable to apply knowledge of WHS principles, and incorrectly completes a risk assessment based on the case scenario|
|Reporting hazards||Demonstrates an understanding of WHS policies and procedures by correctly completing an incident report based on the case scenario||Does not demonstrate an understanding of WHS policies and procedures, and incorrectly completes an incident report based on the case scenario|
|Spill management||Correctly identifies the required PPE and implements the correct spill management technique for the case scenario||Does not identify PPE required and implements the incorrect spill management technique for the case scenario|
|Waste management||Applies knowledge in waste management to explain the importance of timely waste disposal||Does not demonstrate knowledge in waste management; unable to explain the importance of timely waste disposal|
|Hazard identification||Identifies hazards within the workplace and implements preventive measures||Unable to identify hazards within the workplace or implement appropriate preventive measures|
|Surface cleaning||Compares cleaning agents to identify the correct use on a workplace surface||Poor understanding of cleaning agents; cannot identify the correct use on a workplace surface|
|Overall assessment requirements
|Word counts||As per tasks|
|Plagiarism||All the student’s work is original and sourced where appropriate|
|Referencing||Appropriate referencing conventions are used|
5. Units of Competency
This assessment meets the following Units of Competency:
HLTWHS001 Participate in workplace health and safety
HLTHSS003 Perform general cleaning tasks in a clinical setting
All terms mentioned in this text that are known to be trademarks or service marks have been appropriately capitalised. Use of a term in this text should not be regarded as affecting the validity of any trademark or service mark.
© Open Colleges Pty Ltd, 2017. All rights reserved. No part of the material protected by this copyright may be reproduced or utilised in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the copyright owner.
[ ] [ ] – HLT35015 Certificate III in Dental Assisting Page 3 of 7